Intro to the Strategy Forum

Strategy is critical on the MCAT. Here is where you can ask questions or share insights specifically about mastering strategy for timing, test taking, Verbal Reasoning, the Essay, and scientific problem solving.

(Don't ask science fact questions here. Use the Community forum.)

Intro to the Strategy Forum

Postby jcutts » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Here is where you can post issues that have to do with mastering the strategies for the MCAT (as opposed to strictly science review).

Most of my MCAT students already know enough science to get the score they need on the MCAT once they can master strategy. Strategy includes how you use your time on the test, as well as specific tools for efficient test taking and most importantly, tools for doing accurate scientific problem solving.

There are also important strategies for the Verbal Reasoning and the Writing Sample.

All of these strategies are outlined in the Barron's book. It's my belief that the Barron's book is the only MCAT book on the market that goes into these strategies in depth and is based on the expertise of many years of experience.

Because strategy is so critical, this forum is dedicated to your comments and questions as you try to learn, practice, and master strategy. Usually, whether you get your highest possible score or not depends on strategy. While it's not that difficult to study science on your own, strategy can be difficult for many people to master without some amount of coaching help.

I do want you to know that I am available to help you if you are working hard and are not yet where you need to be. Below, I'm copying what I wrote about extra help in the Start Here forum.

GETTING HELP

Many premed students find that, despite having a great prep book and a great premed advisor, they still need to get some professional coaching to get their best MCAT score and to successfully complete all of the parts of the application process that can make them stand out from the crowd.

I have over 20 years experience helping premed and other preprofessional students get accepted and I am available to work with you - though I do limit the number of students that I work with - on your MCAT prep and in preparing a strong application, including writing a compelling personal statement, being well-prepared for your interviews, and working on other special strategies for being more competitive. There are several fee structures, depending on what kind and how much help you need.

Whether you feel you need only a little bit of guidance or significant help, please feel free to call me directly to talk over your situation. I'll be glad to talk with you free of charge.

I can be reached at 505-281-0684 day or evening, 7 days a week. The hours are as follows:

Eastern Time: noon to midnight
Central Time: 11 am to 11 pm
Mountain Time: 10 am to 10 pm
Pacific Time: 9 am to 9 pm

Good luck with your plans,

Jay
jcutts
Site Admin

Return to Strategy on the MCAT